| ||Input and Output Classes - slide 35 : 40|
Serialization and Alternatives
When is it appropriate to use serialization?
What are the alternatives to serialization?
- An easy way to save and restore objects in between program sessions
- Useful in many projects where persistency is necessary, but not a key topic
- Requires only little programming
- Custom programmed file IO
- Full control of object IO
- May require a lot of programming
- Objects in Relational Databases
- Impedance mismatch: "Circular objects in retangular boxes"
- Useful when the program handles large amounts of data
- Useful if the data is accessed simultaneous from several programs
- Not a topic in this course